Date: April 1, 2023
The below information refers to Brewha Bushwhack 2022. Stay tuned for updates on the next event!
Assemble your team and prepare for Pack Rat’s biggest event of the year!
Your crew will navigate to hidden checkpoints along the Mulberry River valley, completing a variety of outdoor challenges along the way.
Archery. Build fire. Paddle a canoe. Tie knots. Climb. Rappel. Identify local plants & animal tracks. A team with varied skillsets is a must.
What is the Brewha Bushwhack?
The Brewha Bushwhack is not a race in the traditional sense. We call it a team-based adventure challenge: What you know is more important than how fast you are. While there are physical challenges that will test your endurance, the goal is to push the limit of the teams' diversity of skills, and what can be accomplished together. Make your own path, and set your own pace - the Brewha Bushwhack is a challenge based on points, not time.
The gear requirements are small - You will mostly rely on primitive technology and woodlore. Little more than a knife, para-cord, duct tape, or a fire steel will be needed to complete the challenges. Your most important tool is your brain, and best asset your team.
At the end of it all, local breweries will be serving up some great beer, and we'll have an awards ceremony to swap stories and compare scars.
Don't Want to Compete?
During the event, there is an all-day gathering with clinics, gear demos, survival, bushcraft, and archery clinics, and more! Check out the Spectator Tickets for more information.
You will need a wide range of skills to compete in the Bushwhack. Below are skills that will likely be required:
Navigation • Primitive Fire • Rope Skills • Plant & Animal Track ID • Archery • Paddling • Wilderness First Aid • Shelter Building
It's up to you to determine the most efficient (or fun!) route of travel for the day.
• The course checkpoints can be completed in any order.
• Navigating to a checkpoint will be worth points.
• Additional points are earned by completing skill-based challenges at certain checkpoints, like building a fire using primitive skills, or identifying animal tracks.
• Team members will need to work together to accomplish each task.
• Many checkpoints will have event staff present to answer questions, explain challenges, and provide help if needed.
• The nature of each task will remain a surprise until you arrive!
While you register individually, teams must consist of three or four people. Many of the challenges you will face require teamwork to complete.
During the registration process you will fill out a form that includes your team name and other vital information - this is how your teammates will be added together.Ensure all teammates use the same Team Name in their registration form when checking out.
• You will be traveling through very rugged terrain at times. It is essential for your team to understand how to use a map and compass.
• Kids 12+ are more than welcome to participate! A parent or guardian must be on their team and with them at all times.
• Teams that have less than 3 people will not be able to participate, so confirm your team has registered before midnight on March 31.
• The leader of each team must be over 21 years of age. Everyone that plans to attend the after party must be 21+ and have a valid ID with them to drink beer.
• Dogs are welcome on your team! They should be on a leash and their owners take full responsibility for them. Be aware that Byrd's Adventure Center has several large dogs that roam the property.
April 1, 2023
Byrd's Adventure Center on the Mulberry River in Northwest Arkansas.
Primitive camping in the designated Brewha Bushwhack area, for Friday and Saturday night, is included with your registration. If you'd like a cabin, or campsite with RV or electrical hookups, you may arrange that with Byrd's Adventure Center.
We recommend arriving at Byrd's Adventure Center on Friday, April 1st(the evening before). This will ensure that everyone is present for the mandatory pre-race meeting the following morning. If you are unable to show up until Saturday morning, have your ducks in a row and be ready to go.
-5:00pm Packet pick up begins
Possible last minute training opportunity with our special guests. You won't want to miss this!
- 8:00am- 8:30am Late Passport Pick up
- 9:00am Pre-Bushwhack meeting
- 10:00am The Competition begins!
- 12:00pm Festival Activities start
- 5:00pm The Bushwhack is over
- 6:00pm Festivities & Awards to Follow
There will be several local breweries pouring at the festival; keep an eye out for the final roster.
There will be several wilderness skills instructors at the spectator festival. Click on each one to learn more about them!
There will be a mandatory gear list for everyone. The final gear list will be emailed to everyone after registration. The list will be short, however it will not be finalized until we are closer to the race date. The items below are approved for the 2022 Brewha Bushwhack Gear List.